"...Let us not love [merely] in theory or in speech but in deed and in truth (in practice and in sincerity)." I John 3.18
Things you can do:
1. Network. Pass a resume/business card to someone you know or to your boss.
2. $ - sent anonymously
Grocery gift card, Visa gift card to pay a bill.
3. Service providers - legal services, child care, repair jobs, personal care, - can you cut them a break on their bill this month? Can you give them free service one time?
4. Free Babysitting
5. Do fun stuff with them - dinner together, hang out, or fun activities
6. Comedy is a great stress relief - pay for some movie tickets for their family
7. (Did I leave something out? Add your comments below)
Things you can say:
1. How was your week? (Open-ended: if they want to talk about the job search fine, if not it doesn't define them)
Avoid any words or action to make them feel like a project, or a "charity case"
Also check out this great link about giving during a recession.